Saturday, September 12, 2009

Koukaku no Regios


A polluted world has been overtaken by havoc-wreaking creatures called pollution beasts. Humanity, having been forced to relocate itself, must live in isolated mobile cities. A mysteriously skilled fighter named Layfon Alseif enrolls in the Academic city of Zuellni and is immediately noticed by Nina Antalk, leader of the 17th Military Arts Unit. He then reluctantly joins her squad, uncertain of what future awaits him and his new teammates within the city as well as the impending dangers in the midst of a plagued world.
Source: AnimeNewsNetwork.com


All Hail Koukaku no Regios!
It has everything! Action, friendship, monsters, Romance, a bit of comedy. Only thing missing is robots. And everything it has, is done oh-so-adrenalin-pumping-excellent! Everything was good enough for me to overlook the slightly out-of-placed harem going on.

I was 3rd episode in, looked at the time… 11pm. Ok then! Already knew that this anime was going to keep me up all night. Time to redeem the countless hours I wasted sleeping.

During the start of the series...
1st episode - Turned off the lights. I only do this for the BEST animes mind you! I know it kills your eyes but Regios was freaking worth it!
2nd episode - Ran down quickly during the opening theme and grabbed as much snacks my hands allowed.
3rd episode - Searched for the soundtrack.
4th episode - Search for lots and lots of Regios wallpapers.
5th episode – Googled for Regios figures.
6th and onwards - Enjoyed as I drown myself in Regios ecstasy...

Things started to get twisted from episode 12 as plots build up. Hate to sound “unprofessional” but by then, I was too engrossed in Regios to bother about this review anymore. Stopped taking notes, threw the pen aside and was focused on this anime 120%. To illustrate a comparison on how incredible that is, I operate heavy machinery at work allocating only 60% of my brain power. Lol!

But to sum up the episodes, there were ups and downs. Still plenty of action and drama to boot; Keeping you on the edge of your seat. Either I have not seen animes of this genre for too long or Regios is really as great as I felt it to be.


I absolutely love the ending theme, Yasashii Uso by Chrome Shelled. At time of writing this review, I would have listened to it 43 times. By the end of this review, I expect the number to turn 50 61, not including the times I’ve listened to it watching the anime. Seeing how it is the ONLY song in my playlist for now. Very seldom do I actually sit through the same themes every episode or even played the anime just to skip to the ending theme. Regios has got me playing it over and over and over and over again. Well, that is until I downloaded the Single album for Yasahii Uso.


Every now and then, I keep thinking if Regios could have reached Macross Frontier standards romance wise if it killed the moe. That would have give the romance and harem plot a sense of realism. I’m not saying it isn’t as good as Macross Frontier; just that Macross Frontier feels more matured possibly targeting the audience of a higher age group. But in its own right, Regios is really just as amazing. Talking about realisem, I love how they didn’t portray the lead Layfon as the invincible warrior that he is, and instead will still tire and needs the help of his teammates in taking down stronger opponents.


There were some inconsistencies through out the course of the anime. During the inter platoon matches, there were numerous strong platoons, with experienced veterans, “honorable” and powerful military artists (Regios’s fancy name for soldiers, or at some point, cannon fodder). Then when the polluted beasts were invading, where the fark did everyone go? The only platoon I recognize was the one Layfon was in, the 17th Platoon.

Another inconsistency is that when Layfon went outside of the city’s protection dome. The polluted environment was shown to be hazardous enough to be able to slowly disintegrate Layfon’s clothing. But few episodes after that, Felli can travel outside in a freaking miniskirt?! WtF?! Oh by the way, Felli is the character in Regios who proves that a loli CAN be tsundere at the same time! :p

Remember coming across a chat about it a while ago asking if a loli can be a tsundere at the same time. Forgot where though. -.-“


I like how it gives off the illusion of the character’s age based on viewers’ preferences. It constantly uses words like study, exams, academic, classes, etc. which explains that the characters are still studying but that’s it. They never indicated the level of study. So viewers can simply imagine that the characters are indeed middle schooled or high schooled or whatever they prefer. From mid school all the way to university.

But as you watched on, there is not a single scene of the characters attending class at all. All I see are buildings which might very well be barracks instead and this could then easily pass of the idea that the characters are adult aged instead. Call me over-analytic but I think this was done with the intention of allowing viewers to determine or set an age group to the characters for themselves, according to their personal preference.



MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN REGIOS STAY THE F AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK AND WATCH THE ANIME FIRST! IT IS JUST TOTALLY FREAKING WORTH IT!
Minor ending impression




This is a first for me when I say this but I totally enjoyed every single character in Regios. EVERYONE! They were so in role, no one felt out of place at all. Heck! I even loved the swans.



Anyone ever wondered why the city Grendan is so strong?
No… Not because it’s a Chrome Shelled City or whatever. It’s because it is the one city which bothered to keep their elders around. Did you notice that there were no aged citizens at all at Zuellni and Myarth? Even for an academic city?!


Anyone see's Miku-lookalike?


Personally, I like Nina just as much as Felli… Wait! Leerin ain’t half bad too… o_0! I just had a revelation! Regios is my tsundere haven! Probably explains why I love it so much. :p

Now if someone is willing to explain to me why Data Chips are so expensive… Kanshasheteh. Oh, and also how the black and white scenes tie up with the main story going on in Regios, Oh! And who the fark Ignasious is. Oh and where is the mentioned Zero Dimension. Oh and what the fark is a Dying Slave. Oh and who the fark is Dixerio too. And the Masked Wolf gang. What about the Rigzario Belief?
Lol! I have never enjoyed such a confusing anime before! For the first time, I didn't mind being totally lost to what the heck they were talking about. 5 ULTIMATE MIND-BLOWING STARS!


Epic Coolness!


Goggle technology we will never achieve! One which lets your hair out in style yet keeps you air tight


Sephia scenes which I don't get






Koukaku no Regios
Rating: 5-Stars
Torrents: Taka Fansubs

2 comments:

  1. get the answer to some of your questions from the mango ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. The only mango I do now is Highschool of the Dead. :p And that's only until it finishes. Then I'd probably stop completely.

    The last one I chased was Death Note. Few chapters in. I got dizzy and nauseous. Never read any manga since then. :p

    It doesn't happen when I read comic scans though. As in Marvel, DC, etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete